Tuesday 12 January 2016

Haiku

I recently went for the national writers workshop and the workshop I was allotted turned out to be the Haiku workshop. any one who doesn't know what a haiku is shouldn't feel bad, I didn't know about Haiku either. Here's a quick summary of what a Haiku is:
1. Haiku is a three line poem written in seventeen or less than seventeen syllables or sounds or stresses
2. The poems are written after experiencing, observing and absorbing nature all around us and then distilling the experience
3. They are written in present tense
4. There are no titles for these poems
5. Haiku poems have reference to a season either directly or through 'kigo' words.
6. There is a cut at the end of first or second lines and it could be either shown by a 'cut marker' or just indicated by the line itself.
7. Most of the haiku have juxtaposition of two images around a line which serves as a pivot
Well I was not very pleased with the idea of learning this restrictive for of poetry. But I, very bravely, continued with the workshop. In the end I changed the rules a bit, well  Haiku are usually serious, but I made a few funny ones. Here are a few of them.

we were given a scene of a sunrise/ sunset
"the sun comes up,
the hen goes cuckoo-
and all hell breaks loose."

"the clouds are scattered,
and the sun goes down its night-
its night."

this one is about mushrooms- I got that topic(just my luck!)
"the smoky mushroom,
utters the sound that spells my doom-
BOOM!"

this one is my favourite, is about a video that shows the movement of water from droplets on a leak to the mighty ocean(imagine eight and a half minutes of that.)
"drops fall,
streams flow-
its complicated"

Do you like haiku? would you read more of them? would you write some yourself? Which one of my works do you like? Do you want more haiku?
Before answering those questions I suggest just go through the translations of the stuff the original masters have written.(not that I'm not a master myself (just kidding))

As for my answer I'm afraid I like only one haiku master(that's me). that implies I will not spend too much time in reading haiku. But occasionally I will write haiku but funny ones only. By the way out of forty students 5 got grand prises, 15 got laureates and the rest got achievers awards. Yeah I got a Grand Prise.

No comments:

Post a Comment